THYME
I would like to write about this interesting plant, which is particularly popular here.
Thyme is not only beautiful, but a very useful little plant.
In Turkey you can certainly find it in every kitchen. It is used to flavour a wide variety of dishes. The taste reminds me most of oregano. I also use it at home to make a cream(from tomataoe paste with garlic and olive oil) for breakfast which can then be used as a pizza cream too. But we use it to flavour salads, meats and I'm sure many other Turkish dishes that I've never made 😊 But I once ate at a salad in a special restaurant where they cooked according to Hatay cuisine, which was just thyme. Thyme salad 😊 At first I was a bit nervous about it because I thought it would have a very strong taste , but it was surprisingly pleasant.
https://www.saklilezzetler.com/2011/10/05/kekik-zahter-salatasi/Anyway, it is said to be an excellent appetite stimulant, stomachic, antispasmodic and cough suppressant. In bath waters it is fragrant and refreshing.
It also has expectorant and expectorant effects, but its main value is thymol (40%) and carvacrol (15%), which has strong antiseptic and antimicrobial properties (Wikipedia).
"In Turkey, several plant species are identified as "thyme". In particular, those species whose essential oils contains the carvacrol and thymol ."(https://www.hattena.com.tr/zahter-mi-kekik-mi)
The flower is used to make honey.
The stems and leaves are used to make spices, tea and oil.
"A rather strong, bitter-smelling plant. It should not be overused, as it can spoil the flavour of food or the beneficial effects can be intensified and cause illness or sickness. So just like anything else, it should be used in moderation.
It also contains a number of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron, selenium, manganese, potassium, magnesium, folic acid, benzoyl peroxide and beta-carotene, as well as vitamins B6, A and C. It contains an essential oil called thymol, which is the main reason for the antibacterial and antiseptic properties of the plant. One of its most important properties is its anti-inflammatory action. This makes it effective in treating colds, for example. It soothes the chest, and strengthens the immune system. " (https://www.hattena.com.tr/zahter-mi-kekik-mi)
I think it's a herb commonly used in Mediterranean countries, but we don't use it as much at home in Hungary, as, for example, paprika, which is used less often here in Turkey.
In Hungary the most common spices in the kitchens are the paprika and the pepper, while in Turkey among others are the kekik and the mint.
No comments:
Post a Comment