SILENT COMPANION
You don't always have to say wise things when you meet someone who has problems. Sometimes kindness can be very helpful. A kind of gentleness, a quiet presence, something where the other person feels that there is someone they can count on, someone they can trust, and that makes them feel safe.
Otherwise, there are many things present in silence. Sometimes much more than words can express. This reminds me of one of my favourite books, Michael Ende's Momo.
Have you read it? It's a wonderful story.
The main character is Momo, who hardly ever says a word, yet everyone goes to her when they have a problem and everyone is happier when they come to her and feel they have the answer to their problem,. Momo never does anything, never says a word, just listens quietly to everyone and somehow everything turns to be fine. I don't know how it is, but really sometimes it's enough just to listen to somebody, with no prejudice, with no expectation, just to be there. Together with the other person.
There are people who have this ability by nature and they might choose later on a kind of work where they can use their gift. And I think they probably be very successful at it. I think if someone choose a job that he has a natural aptitude or talent for that particular thing, he certainly will be successful and maybe happier than if he choose a job that he has nothing to do with.
And there are people who don't have that kind of ability by default (to stay silent and being able to listen others), but they know and they understand that it's necessary because with this they can give a lot to others and they would try to work on developing or amplifying it.
I am very lucky, by the way, because I have several friends who are able to listen attentively and quietly and don't have the compulsion to change or correct something immediately while I am speaking or finish a sentence for me. They wait for me to explain what is going on and if I ask them they will give me their opinion. I try to be like that, but I guess I don't always succeed 😊
On the subject of friendship, I was thinking today that there are these wonderful people who I can call my friends and the best thing is that they are always my friends.
I don't have to call or text them every day or month to remind them of my existence or my love for them. No. Even if it's been a very long time since we've seen each other, they are just as dear to me (and I think I am to them) as if not a single day have passed since we last met. Friendship is a great treasure and we reinforce it at every meeting with the special care and love we have for each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment